Patient FAQ Centre

Patients frequently asked questions

Your child needs to be on the public dental waiting list in your state or territory. Patients are allocated to Give a Smile from the top of the waiting list.
You must be a Health Care Card holder or Pension Card holder. Contact the public dental health department in your state or territory for an appointment to have your child’s dental and orthodontic needs assessed. Details are available on the Give a Smile web site.
Contact your local office of the Department of Social Security.
It varies, but it can be two years or more.

If you live in SA, WA or Victoria, your state health department requires you to pay a fee (co-payment) for your orthodontic treatment. If you accept treatment through Give a Smile, that co-payment will be paid by you to the Give a Smile Trust.

Yes, your child will still be entitled to receive any dental treatment in the public dental health system.
Give a Smile Orthodontists are entitled to charge a fee which are caused by the patient. Some examples would be: continually breaking appointments, losing or breaking appliances (including retaining plates). We hope that this won’t happen!
Yes, the treatment will be performed by a Specialist Orthodontist. As he or she will be a full member of the Australian Society of Orthodontists, the treatment will be of the highest standard.
No, you have choice of having the treatment done either by the Give a Smile program or in the public dental health system.